Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Book Review: Before You Know Kindness

Last week I read Before You Know Kindness by Chris Bohjalian.  It was a different sort of premise with really deep characters.  It's amazing how one event can change everything, and even though at the time it seems for the worse, you never know how things will actually come out. 


I also liked how characters I didn't care for in the beginning of the book, grew on me either as they changed, or as I got to know them better.  I'm finding myself more and more being drawn to character driven books as opposed to plot driven ones, although I always love a good story.


Synopsis: 
On a balmy July night in New Hampshire a shot rings out in a garden, and a man falls to the ground, terribly wounded. The wounded man is Spencer McCullough, the shot that hit him was fired–accidentally?–by his adolescent daughter Charlotte. With this shattering moment of violence, Chris Bohjalian launches the best kind of literate page-turner: suspenseful, wryly funny, and humane.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting! I'll have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good book -- I'll have to add it to my list of must reads!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog -- I'm punching away and will do another post on the finished project!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave your blog link in the comments!