Monday, January 9, 2012

Long Run

Yesterday I did my first long run after doing the burst training.  I really didn't know what to expect as I'd used the last two of my running days on burst training, so it had been over a week since I'd run any distance.


I don't run on a treadmill.  I have a handy dandy app on my phone so I can plot out my route and get a good estimate of how far it will be.  Then I run that course until it becomes kind of easy, and then I set a new course that's a little longer.  That way my body can set the pace...plus 99 cents is cheaper than a gym membership.


I also have a pedometer app, so I can see how far I actually ran, and what my pace was and all that good stuff.


So it started out just fine, but halfway through I was a little more tired than I usually was.  I pushed on, determined to get through it. At 1.9 miles (my goal was 2), I had no choice but to stop.  I almost threw up... just like on The Biggest Loser... I didn't think that could actually happen!


I was a little discouraged, until I looked at my pedometer.  Where normally I run anywhere between 4 and 4.5 mph, this time I had averaged over 5! No wonder I had been so tired!  I went from down on myself to proud of myself in less than a second!  


I'm going to do the Burst training again on Wednesday, and then on Sunday we'll see how my long run goes. 

1 comment:

  1. ooooh, I avoid running.... I like cardio and tough training but something about running makes me want to do squats, push-ups or anything else than run... I should change that mind set, ... might start running too this year :)

    Happy Monday!
    Des.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave your blog link in the comments!