Thursday, May 27, 2010

Not the whole story...

One of the problems with living in a country where you are still learning the language is that at times you don't always get the whole story. We were expecting a very large group of Chinese people, so they asked me to stay late since everyone's sets would be shorter because none of us spoke Chinese. They were set to arrive at 9:30, but they were late.

I heard the manager say that they were going to be one to two hours late, and that he was very sorry. So I got ready to hunker down with my book as it seemed like it was going to be awhile. Well, the lighting guy asked me why I wasn't eating my dinner since I was finished...

The whole story was that since they were going to be late they only needed one magician. Poor Taka had to stay... I understand more each day, but sometimes the key points escape me.


In other news:

Also had a curtain snafu with the aforementioned Taka. He was the lucky soul who was supposed to open the curtain, but he got in a conversation and missed it (he's only 19). Well, since it's not a union house, I just opened it myself figuring I'd come one a bit late but no harm no foul.

Taka runs up in mid-curtain-open and says, "Sorry, I've got it" (that time I did understand the whole thing BTW)

Unfortunately, he grabs the wrong line and closes the curtain just as I reach center stage. You can't actually see the stage from the curtain pull thingy, so he had no idea. I then had to go off stage to re-open the curtain, but the manager got there first and opened it for me.

Meanwhile, the music is playing and I missed about a quarter of the Billiard Ball Routine... I caught up, and finished the show...

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are having a wonderful adventure there :) T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for taking the time to share with us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Memories you can laugh about later.....

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave your blog link in the comments!